6 Tried-and-Tested Ways to Lighten Your Skin Naturally
Prolonged exposure to the sun makes your skin dull, dry, and darker. Using certain chemical products can cause an uneven skin tone. This has prompted many people to resort to using skin whitening creams to make their skin lighter. A majority of these people don’t know that a good number of these products are made using chemicals that can cause more harm than good to your body. Be especially wary of any product that works overnight as they can have negative effects on your skin.
If you want to have lighter skin you use one of the following at-home remedies. This way you don’t have to be exposed to the dangerous side effects that normally come with the chemical skin lightening products. You can save money, time, and your health by using natural skin lightening remedies and methods. These will also effectively lighten and brighten the complexion of your skin. Below are 6 of the most effective ways to lighten your skin naturally.
1. Apply a Lemon Juice Solution
Lemon juice has acids that exfoliate the skin’s top layer of the dark cells and lightly bleach it. In fact, it has been used as a skin lightener for thousands of years. Do not use pure lemon juice as it can be quite irritating to your skin. Instead, make a solution of it by mixing one part of the juice with an equal amount of water. Using a cotton ball spread this solution on your skin. Allow it to remain there for 20 minutes and then wash it off using warm water.
Points to remember
• Apply the lemon juice solution only 2-3 times a week. If you apply it more times than this, it can easily irritate your skin. After you have rinsed the lemon juice, apply a moisturizer to avoid the juice drying out your skin.
• You will start seeing results after 3-4 weeks. Although lemon juice won’t give you instant lightening effects, it is still the best natural skin lightening solution out there.
Honey not only bleaches skin but also acts as a moisturizing agent. One of the reasons for the presence of uneven skin tone is dry skin. Honey is also packed with antibacterial properties that help mask acne scars and age spots.
Points to remember
• Apply pure honey onto your face and let it stay there for a couple of minutes after which you should wash it off using lukewarm water. This is a simple remedy that helps to remove dead cells of the skin, which makes your skin to be lighter and even fresher than ever. Apply honey once a day.
• To prepare a skin-lightening mask, mix a teaspoon of honey and lemon juice, a half teaspoon of almond oil and a table spoon of powdered milk. Mix these thoroughly and have the mixture applied gently on your skin. Leave the mixture on your skin for 15 minutes and wash off with cold water. This should be done every other day.
3. Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera is another natural way of how to lighten skin naturally. It not only alleviates hyper-pigmentation but also restores the original color of your skin. Hyper-pigmentation is one of the leading causes of the uneven skin tone.
Another thing is that the cooling effects that aloe vera helps in regenerating new cells and rebuilding damaged tissues, something that is crucial for a healthy skin. Aloe vera remedy is simple but can lighten dark spots as well as improve overall complexion of the skin.
• Cut outer layer of the aloe vera leaf and squeeze its thick jelly-like substance.
• Have the gel thoroughly applied on your skin
• Let it there for about half an hour and then rinse off with water
• Repeat this twice a day for two weeks.
If you cannot access aloe vera plant, feel free to buy the gel in a grocery store.
4. Tomato + yogurt + oatmeal
This combination of natural substances is a great remedy. You just have to mix a tablespoon of tomato juice, yogurt and oatmeal each. Thoroughly mix these until they form a thick paste. After that, have this applied to your face as mask and then leave it on for about half an hour. Wash the paste off using lukewarm water.
Vitamin C is by far the single most important ingredient when it comes to skin care and it is abundant in oranges. Also, oranges contain bleaching properties which can lighten your skin complexion.
Research has shown that regularly consuming fresh orange juice significantly improves overall skin texture, and also its suppleness. There are two main ways in which you can use oranges to lighten your skin:
1. Mix 2 tablespoons of orange juice with powdered turmeric (a pinch). Have this mixture applied to your neck and face before you go off to bed. You may also choose to apply the mixture on your legs and hands. Wash off after 20-25 minutes and repeat it daily.
2. Grind dried peels of orange into a fine powder. Mix a tablespoon of that powdered peels with a tablespoon of yogurt to form a paste. Have the resultant paste applied to your skin. Leave it on your skin for roughly 15 minutes or thereabout and rinse off using water. This helps to lighten the marks on your face such as spots. You can perform this once or two times a week but don’t exceed that.
One of the key ingredients of milk is calcium and this helps regulate normal skin color. It also acts as a solid protective barrier that helps in fighting moisture loss, thereby preventing the skin from losing its moisture. This is very important for maintaining an even skin tone.
Regular intake of milk-based calcium helps in stimulating melanocytes. These are the cells tasked with producing melanin pigment. The milk also contains lactic acid that helps in reducing skin pigmentation thereby lightening up the complexion of the skin.
• Take a glass of milk and heat it on stove using medium heat. Warm the milk but do not make it hot.
• Get clean wash cloth and have it soaked into the warm milk. Take out the cloth from the milk and wring it so as to rid it of any excessive milk. Note that the cloth must be soaked into the milk and not merely dipped in it.
• Have the cloth applied on the skin and then gently rub it for a couple of minutes until the cloth is dry.
• After that, soak it in the milk again and repeat the process till all areas of the skin are covered.
Prolonged exposure to sun and the elements means that we have imbalanced skin tone without even knowing it. But the good news is that the situation can be reversed. Instead of opting for chemical-laden skin lightening creams, just use natural lighteners. These can effectively lighten your skin but don’t have the harmful chemicals of artificial lighteners.